skip to Main Content

Breaking Council Tenancy Agreement

If you sign your lease, you agree to all the terms of the Council`s lease and your individual lease. You must explain their reasons if they decide not to renew your lease and give you the opportunity to challenge the decision. If you are a co-tenant, you are responsible for all aspects of the lease both separately and jointly. You cannot share or share rights and responsibilities. If a tenant violates the tenancy conditions, it is the responsibility of both tenants. If a tenant terminates the lease, the entire lease ends. If you leave the property, you are still responsible for the lease until you sign it or transfer it to another person. If you believe someone has obtained their home by deception, breached their rental terms or left your home, please report it. You can report an alleged fraud at the Council`s rental online (opens in a new window) or call via our confidential hotline on (01482) 396301. An introductory tenancy agreement may be offered to new Council tenants. These usually last 12 months and are like a “sample” period. If a tenancy agreement is transferred to another person through an “assignment,” all rights and obligations of the former tenant are transferred to the new tenant.

Your right to award a lease and to whom you can assign it depends on the type of lease you have. Your lease may also require the landlord`s approval before you can terminate your lease. If you give your property to someone without assigning it properly, the owner can ask a court to dislodge anyone residing in the property. As long as you pay your rent and you and the people for whom you are responsible comply with the terms of the lease, we would not normally ask the court to issue such an order. If you move and sublet your home, you lose your security status permanently. This also applies if you return later. The Council could easily end your rent and everyone who lives there will be evicted. As a secure tenant, you can usually reside in the property for the rest of your life as long as you do not violate the terms of the lease. Evictions are always a last resort for the tenant management team. Officials give you every opportunity to look at the behaviours that led you to violate your rental conditions.

However, if all other interventions do not resolve the problems, the Commission may attempt to terminate your lease. If you continue to interfere in antisocial behaviour, we can turn your lease into a demoted lease or a family intervention lease. An advisor can help you negotiate with the Council and/or represent you in court. Do you have the papers you have received from the court or your counsel if you are talking to a counsellor? Most council tenants are safe tenants. A safe lease is a lifetime lease. If the Commission wishes to dislodge you for discretionary reasons, the court must agree on both: secure the lease until March 31, 2012 (pdf 296kb) Your rights and obligations vary depending on the type of lease you have, you should consult your lease for more information.

Back To Top