“Off To The Races: Newport, 1900”
By Russ Kramer
20″ x 30″ Oil on Linen
Spectators watch as the sloop MINEOLA and schooner CORONA leave Newport Harbor on the morning of August 13, 1900 during the Annual Cruise of the New York Yacht Club. CORONA, the Club’s flagship owned by Commodore Lewis Cass Ledyard, and MINEOLA, one of the four new Herreshoff 70-foot class owned by Vice Commodore August Belmont, would both win their class in the Astor Cup later that day. The spire of Trinity church and the Club’s Station 6 can be seen on the town’s bustling waterfront.